The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Am Number 4

+6
Covina Guy
Ancient Roswellian
Banjo
Penny
Berry
jero
10 posters

Go down

I Am Number 4 Empty I Am Number 4

Post  jero 2009-08-29, 01:13

wave

Since I don't have a subscription to Variety... Dragging this over here from Media Blvd:

Posted by Vicki, Aug 26 2009:

I was just reading Variety and found this in an article about a new movie being made.....

"In June, the studio pre-emptively purchased the film rights to the unpublished science fiction novel written by Jobie Hughes and "A Million Little Pieces" author James Frey. The "4" story line involves a group of teenage alien refugees assimilating to high school on Earth when they discover that their home planet's enemy is now hunting them on their new turf."

Sound familiar? Now read the full article....

'I Am Number 4' finds 2 scribes
Al Gough, Miles Millar to adapt; Michael Bay producing

By Jay A. Fernandez and Borys Kit

Aug 26, 2009, 08:02 PM ET

Screenwriters Al Gough and Miles Millar have signed on to adapt "I Am Number 4" for producer Michael Bay and DreamWorks Studios.

In June, the studio pre-emptively purchased the film rights to the unpublished science fiction novel written by Jobie Hughes and "A Million Little Pieces" author James Frey. The "4" story line involves a group of teenage alien refugees assimilating to high school on Earth when they discover that their home planet's enemy is now hunting them on their new turf.

Bay is a potential to direct.

"We couldn't be more thrilled to have Al and Miles joining DreamWorks on this exciting project," said Mark Sourian, co-president of production for DreamWorks. "Their body of work illustrates their expertise in this genre, and we look forward to them bringing their vision to this very unique property."

Genre fans have pointed out the concept's similarity to the 1999-2002 UPN show "Roswell," which explored the relationships of teenage alien-human hybrids on Earth. Gough and Millar mined similar terrain themselves with their long-running WB show "Smallville," about young Clark Kent/Superman's challenges as a teen.

"District 9," which has grossed $77 million domestic since TriStar Pictures released it two weeks ago, has found success recently in exploring the alien-refugee context.

"I Am Number 4" is the first in a planned four-volume young-adult series to be published by HarperCollins Children's Books in North America.

J.C. Spink and Chris Bender of BenderSpink are executive producing the project.

The CAA-repped Gough and Millar also wrote the scripts for "Shanghai Noon," "Shanghai Knights" and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor." They produced "Hannah Montana: The Movie" for Disney and are producing the DreamWorks project "Quartermain."
jero
jero
Transformation
Transformation

I Am Number 4 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100I Am Number 4 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-10

Back to top Go down

I Am Number 4 Empty Re: I Am Number 4

Post  Berry 2009-08-29, 11:04

Very interesting. Derivative or not, I'd give this show a chance. cheers
Berry
Berry

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-08-29, 11:56

VERY interesting! alien Thanks for sharing, Jero! Keep us posted!
Penny
Penny

Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2009-08-30, 10:41

Well.....won't the casting be interesting ? And the comparisons to be made.... scratch

Is Emilie too old to play a teenager ? Probably not, and wouldn't it be a hoot if she were cast ? Not much chance of that happening, they will probably look for unknown and cheaper actors....but I would You are killin me You are killin me You are killin me You are killin me if it did happen.
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-08-30, 18:13

Can they rip-off a move like this without getting in trouble with like a copy write or something though???

The Michael Bay produced adaptation I Am Number 4 has landed a couple of writers. According to THR, DreamWorks will produce and distribute the film based on the first title in a six book series written by Jobie Hughes and James Frey. The books are a part of an unpublished sci-fi set by HarperCollins.

Screenwriters Al Gough and Miles Millar have been hired to pen the screenplay for the novel adaptation. Mark Sourian, co-president of production for DreamWorks stated, “Their body of work illustrates their expertise in this genre, and we look forward to them bringing their vision to this very unique property.”

The story for I am Number 4 centers on “a group of teenage alien refugees assimilating to high school on Earth when they discover that their home planet’s enemy is now hunting them on their new turf.” I smell Roswell, the defunct WB/UPN series from the earlier part of this decade that also focused on four alien teens on earth dealing with some “homeland issues.”

I think the scariest part of this deal is the fact that Michael Bay has been put out there as a potential director. After Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, I don’t know if I can let him slide anymore.
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Ancient Roswellian 2009-08-30, 18:53

I'm no expert on this but...unless the writer of the unpublished works had them copyrighted...which most don't...then yes they can. I'm not saying it's right but it happens.

Of course, there is a lot of information missing from what I'm reading. Sometimes, a large publishing house, particularly that can smell money in a series will postpone publishing the books in favor of movie scripts and movies first...much more mulah in that scenerio which I'm guessing is what's really happening. You will see possibly the first and maybe the second of the series in a movie...then the books will start coming out after the fact. Much more money for the publishing house and for the writer then just doing the books. More exposure too.
Ancient Roswellian
Ancient Roswellian
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Covina Guy 2009-08-30, 19:30

Can they rip-off a move like this without getting in trouble with like a copy write or something though???

Penny, if the article is correct, Dreamworks isn't ripping anyone off...it says that they purchased the movie rights to the book. I know from experience that as soon a publisher has accepted an author's work, they sometimes start shopping it's film rights. What surprises me about this is that Dreamworks just bought the rights instead of optioning them. To me this says that they expect the novel (or all the novels in the series) to be very popular and they want to co-ordinate their development of the film with the publishing of the novel to help both parts of the project and with any luck (for them at lease) these books will be the next "Harry Potter" series and they already own all of the film rights.

Covina Guy
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Registration date : 2007-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-08-31, 06:54

Hmmm ... maybe I should read one of the books to see if it is any good! study
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2009-08-31, 18:44

Also, it is only the basic premise of the two book series that are similar and you can't copyright a premise or idea, only the actual written words.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Iris 2009-09-04, 12:04

Frey is the one who wrote "A Million Little Pieces" and said it was autobiographical. But wasn't it discovered that he made up some (maybe lots) of the stories? If I'm remembering correctly, then he might be guilty of plagiarism.

This is confusing.

Iris
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Registration date : 2007-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  jero 2011-02-23, 20:17

wave

Penny wrote: I Am Number Four...

How does it compare with Roswell? Any stand out similarities??? alien

A few... Your typical teen-age alien boy (super powers included) with a 'Protector' falls for an intelligent, pretty human girl while he's 'hiding in plain sight'... Of course the aliens were meant to save their home planet and are being hunted by bad guys...

One scene was so close to Roswell, that I forgot what I was watching for a sec. biggrin

That said, there are lots of differences too. Wink I really enjoyed it! It's definitely worth renting!
jero
jero
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2011-02-23, 21:20

I enjoyed it too. The sidekick guy that cool alien guy picks up reminds me a lot of Colin Hanks...so he was my favorite character.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  sandisea 2011-02-24, 03:17

Yup, James Frey is that ridiculous guy. I had a guy in my high school class with the same name who was a writer so I had to watch to see...thank goodness it wasn't him.. roflmao I thoroughly enjoyed when Oprah had him back on to rip him to sheds for lying to HER...

I'm going tomorrow afternoon...which is really today, I suppose...but not because I'm on sanditime.

I can't remember who said it..I ran across it in a Lit class in college, probably comparative.....there are a finite number of storylines to follow, so everything is derivative to a degree. looking in google there seems to be a lot of dissension about what that number really is but still..it's kind of like that "we are all 52nd cousins" thing.

anyway...going to the movie, the critics are against it, which usually means it'll be as fun as I let it be...and I'm wantin' for some fun...got my low expectations in line, hand me that bag of one dollar. popcorn
:)
sandisea
sandisea
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog 2011-02-24, 23:40

I haven't seen it yet, but surprisingly, the local critic gave it a pretty good review. Said it was fairly predictable. We'll probably go sometime soon.

I Am Number 4 Silver_hand
Groundhog
Groundhog
Cocoon Stage
Cocoon Stage

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  sandisea 2011-02-25, 02:42

I liked it! I knew I would tho...lol
and Timothy Olyphant ... Lovies I always thought he would have chicken legs for some reason...nope. I have no idea why I fixed on that but.. roflmao

predictable, yup, could I see 3 more, sure...will it happen? Is there any news yet on the Percy Jackson sequels or the Airbender sequels...nope? So, I'm thinking probably no sequels. *sigh*

sandisea
sandisea
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2011-10-03, 10:48

Saw it on Showtime Saturday night. Missed the first 15 minutes though! Sad

Saw some things that reminded me of Roswell! alien wub
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-10-03, 12:43

I saw it on Showtime too. Pretty good. So if you saw it on Showtime Penny, you must have Direct TV now !? Congrats ! two thumbs up Now you can critique Dexter with us... :lol:
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2011-10-03, 13:00

And let's give Homeland a shot too. two thumbs up

Oh, and to try to stay "on topic", I really did like "I am #4" when it came out. I hope they are making a sequel.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-10-03, 13:12

Those actors were pretty much all unknowns but did a good job in keeping their roles from being formulaic in a genre where that isn't easy.

I had to DVR Homeland but will be back later on its thread after I've watched it. Ditto Boardwalk Empire which I did watch 'live'.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2011-10-03, 15:00

Have 3 months of Showtime, HBO and one other for free. When is Dexter? I know NOTHING about it!!! scratch
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2011-10-03, 16:01

Dexter is on at 9; Homeland is on at 10, Sunday night on Showtime.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2011-10-03, 17:20

Thanks, Berry! two thumbs up
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Rus 2011-10-03, 18:42

I think they should have called the movie something original like Edward Flashlight Hands. tongue
Rus
Rus
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-10-04, 15:04

Dexter and Homeland repeat during the week. Check your local listings....
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2011-10-04, 16:17

Rus wrote:I think they should have called the movie something original like Edward Flashlight Hands. tongue

That would be a good one!!! two thumbs up
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down