The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Copper

+2
Berry
Covina Guy
6 posters

Go down

Copper Empty Copper

Post  Covina Guy 2012-02-27, 23:57

I just learned that a new show called Copper will premiere this summer. I think it sounds interesting...here's what the BBC America website says about it:

“Copper” is an immigrant drama about an Irish cop working in 19th century New York City. Slated to premiere on BBC America in the summer of 2012 and in Canada on Shaw Media’s Showcase in fall 2012, it will link audiences on both sides of the Atlantic. Production on the series begins on February 9, and shooting will take place on location in Toronto, Ontario through May.

Most of “Copper’s” action will take place in the teeming Irish immigrant neighborhood of Five Points, but the series will also frequent the Upper East Side/Fifth Avenue mansions of the aristocracy and the emerging neighborhood of Harlem founded by New York’s burgeoning African-American population. True to any great cop show, “Copper” will feature well-crafted, close-ended police investigation mysteries with twists, turns and surprises. Set in the 1860s, plot lines relating to the Civil War permeate the series while it also exploring themes of power, politics and race in a country and community wrestling with rapid social change.

Kevin Corcoran, played by Tom Weston-Jones (“MI-5,” aka “Spooks”), is a rugged and confident Irish cop who patrols the streets of Five Points and tries to follow his moral compass despite the blunt realities facing his turbulent community. Each week, we join him on his emotional and relentless quest to learn the truth behind the disappearance of his wife and the death of his daughter. Sharing a unique friendship with two men from two different walks of life who fought with him in the Civil War, Corcoran must navigate the contrasting worlds of Fifth Avenue and Harlem. Corcoran’s compatriot and friend Morehouse, played by Canadian Kyle Schmid (“Blood Ties,” “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants”), is the son of a wealthy New York industrialist residing on Fifth Avenue; Freeman, another veteran, is an African American physician/forensics expert who lives in Harlem and is not afraid to question white authority. We soon learn that the three men share a secret from their experience on the battlefield that will link their lives forever.

Ato Essandoh (“Damages”) plays Doctor Matthew Freeman, who secretly assists Corcoran with his work and Kevin Ryan (“Tripping Tommy”) is Detective Francis Maguire, Corcoran’s closet friend and partner in the 6th Precinct. Other talent in the cast includes Dylan Taylor (“Covert Affairs”) as Andrew O’Brien, colleague and companion to Corcoran and Maguire; Ron White (“The Line”) as Captain Ciaran Joseph Sullivan, who is more often concerned about his reputation than seeking justice for victims; and David W. Keeley (“Rookie Blue”) as Sergeant Padraic Byrnes, a corrupt and contemptuous cop.

Rounding out the cast are leading ladies Anastasia Griffith (“Royal Pains,” “Damages”), as the sophisticated and spirited Elizabeth Haverford and Franka Potente (“The Bourne Supremacy,” “Run Lola Run”) who plays Eva Heissan, a shrewd businesswoman and the Madam of Eva’s Paradise. Additionally, Kiara Glasco (“Angel Duty”) plays Annie Reilly, a young runaway forced to grow up too quickly, and Tessa Thompson (“Heroes”) plays Sara Freeman, the fearful and anxious wife of Dr. Freeman.

BBC America general manager, Perry Simon reveals more about the anticipated series, “In the spirit of great BBC drama it’s brimming with fascinating and complex characters, giving us the opportunity to cast the best actors from both sides of the Atlantic. The ‘Copper‘ production team has recreated 1860′s New York on a massive soundstage set that can only be described as breathtaking.”

“‘Copper’ brings together a team that is truly first class—it is a gripping and fascinating story being told by some of television’s most creative voices,’” said Christina Wayne, President of Cineflix Studios. “We couldn’t be more thrilled to have this series be nurtured by the best in the business—from our award-winning show runner and creator Tom Fontana to our extraordinary cast and brilliant crew…”

The series is created by Tom Fontana (“Oz,” “Homicide: Life on the Streets,” “St. Elsewhere”) and Will Rokos (“Monster’s Ball,” “Southland”). Among the co-executive producers on the series are Fontana, Rokos, Barry Levinson (“Good Morning, Vietnam,” “Rain Man,” “You Don’t Know Jack”), Cineflix Media Co-CEO Glen Salzman, Sally Catto, Sam Berliner, and Cineflix Studios President Christina Wayne (“Broken Trail” and executive in charge of “Mad Men” at AMC). Director of photography is Paul Sarossy (“Chloe,” “The Borgias”), production designer is John Blackie (“Hell on Wheels”) and Delphine White (“Breakout Kings”) is costume designer.

Covina Guy
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Copper Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Copper Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-03-29

Back to top Go down

Copper Empty Re: Copper

Post  Berry 2012-02-28, 00:30

Oh, that has lots to interest me...Civil War era, Irish, NYC. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I hadn't heard a thing about it. sunny
Berry
Berry

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  sandisea 2012-02-28, 04:13

Ohhhh! Five Points...hmm This is Gangs of New York territory...I'm so all over this! Thanks! :bounce:
sandisea
sandisea
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post  BoardMomma 2012-02-28, 23:01

Wow! This sounds great. I didn't know anything about it either but I'm sure going to watch.

Thanks for the heads up CG! smileyhug
BoardMomma
BoardMomma
On Gossamer Wings
On Gossamer Wings

Registration date : 2007-03-17

https://blu5community.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sandisea 2012-03-30, 19:22

So now that we’ve caught you up to speed, here’s the news: Copper, from BBC America and Cineflix Studios, debuts August 19 at 9 p.m. (yup, a Sunday — that night is getting so crowded with great cable TV)

That's the most important part of the article.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That is a ways off...why are they going with Sunday night though. Desperate Housewife void?

I need a cartoon bubble over my head right now...realizing how nutty Sunday night is going to be.... Cartoon bubble nanosecond over...August is another lifetime from now. Cutie
sandisea
sandisea
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2012-09-09, 21:37

I want to like this show...and Ben does. But it just doesn't grip me. I don't find any charisma among any of the actors and it just seems like one long, dark history lesson so far.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2013-06-19, 14:03

Copper returns with season 2 on Sunday June 23 at 10pm. sunny
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2013-06-19, 14:27

I've never seen it. It looks like yet another version of the "buddy cop" genre. How many of those can they invent ? Rolling Eyes
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Rus 2013-06-19, 16:25

I watched the first episode and have the rest of the season recorded.  I intend to watch it some day.
Rus
Rus
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: