The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ...

5 posters

Go down

Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ... Empty Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ...

Post  Penny 2008-01-18, 08:39

I guess this is where I should put this ...

I wanted to let you all know about the documentary about my former teacher, Mr. Bell. It has gone to PBS and will be shown all over the country this coming Monday, Jan. 21st ... Martin Luther King's B'day. I will include the website and you can check out a place there to see if it is showing in your area. You could also call your local PBS station (or check there listing on their webpage) and see if they will be showing COLORBLIND in your area.

I have a couple of small spots in the documentary where I ramble some inane comments Embarassed and you see me (and Larry too!) in the background occasionally. That is one of the neat things about Pamela. She has every classmate saying something or has him or her pictured. She doesn't have just the "popular kids" doing everything. Pam is VERY dramatic though and some of the stuff is kind of hokey. She has been described by many as a "hoot!" tongue

My friend, Ann Randall says quite a bit on the documentary. She is the only one that I kept in touch with through the years. We were some of the last of the class to be at Cerveny. Ann was in my wedding and we still talk on the phone occasionally and send Christmas cards to each other.

Anywho, even if I wasn't in it I would highly recommend watching it. It is very inspirationally and Mr. Bell is such a sweet, caring man! Jojo has seen the documentary so she can give her comment, if she wants!
PBS To Broadcast
The Powerful, Award-Winning
Documentary Film
COLORBLIND

(For More Info See: www.colorblindDocumentary.com )

THE STORY:

Scattered to the winds by the 1967 Detroit race riots a group of almost all white grade school classmates reunite at age 46 to discover how each of their lives had been profoundly impacted by their beloved African American teacher “Mr. Bell”. Mr. Bell is a young, gifted teacher who has touched the hearts and minds of thousands of young grade school children over his 30 year career as a teacher and principal. His method of teaching has changed children's lives for the better and his legacy lives on, inspiring teachers everywhere.

After some heavy mid-life tragedy, when producer/director Pamela Peak began searching for her special grade school classmates from the mid 1960s, she never dreamed that her story would be picked up by Diane Sawyer and ABC News and shared by millions. For so many Americans (both teachers and students) this was their story too!

With the help of her "third grade boyfriend" Timmy, they found all 32 members of their close-knit class. With each classmate found, the same exact words came out of their mouthes: "Where's Mr. Bell?" they each said, "That man impacted my life more than any other teacher."

The quest is on to find their beloved Mr. Bell. He is found, now close to 70 years old. Amazingly he remembers each and every member of this special class . . . this was the only class in his 30 year career as a teacher and principal that he ever snapped a picture of! And they discovered that 80% of his students from that class kept that picture all these years.

Their emotional reunion, honoring Mr. Bell, was captured on tape. It aired on Good Morning America on the Birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King in 2004. Judging by the powerful response to this true life story, producer/director Pamela Peak knew then that a documentary film was in order. Thus, Colorblind, the Award-Winning Documentary Film was born. It has swept the country inspiring teachers and audiences everywhere through film festival screenings and will be shown nationally on over 180 PBS stations beginning in January 2008.

Learn why audiences across America are hailing this film as an important contribution and validation to the teaching profession. Colorblind covers a very important time in America's history -- the mid to late 1960s. It conveys Dr. King's message to an entirely new generation. A curriculum for this important film is available to teachers for purchase for their classrooms.

Please See: www.colorblinddocumentary.com to see the film's trailer and a 5 minute "Director's Cut Preview" of the film.

To reach Pamela Peak Productions or Producer/Director Pamela Peak call:

(949) 305-5496 or

e-mail: Pamelapeak@pamelapeakproductions.com.

Penny
Penny

Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ... Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ... Empty Re: Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ...

Post  Berry 2008-01-18, 08:45

I will be sure to watch, Penny. Jake had a similar experience with a great teacher (in his first year of teaching) that he still mentions to this day when talking about his "good" memories of school.
Berry
Berry

Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ... Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ... Empty Re: Colorblind Documentary to be shown on PBS ...

Post  jero 2008-01-18, 11:10

wave

It's not showing here! Sad

Maybe NetFlix has it?
jero
jero
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post  jojo 2008-01-18, 16:15

Yes I can give my review.....I loved it!!! Especially the scenes with Penny!!!! You really get a sense of how wonderful Mr. Bell was and how unique that time was in our history......when blacks and whites were not often seen together, but here is this classroom of innocent children who got along just fine with their teacher and others.......

I highly recommend seeing it!!! ( Of course, I had the pleasure of going with Penny to the second reunion, and met many of these people....)
jojo
jojo

Registration date : 2007-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2008-01-18, 17:03

jero wrote:wave

It's not showing here! Sad

Maybe NetFlix has it?

I have a copy I can send you to watch, if you aren't able to see it. It might be on in February though. That is Black History Month. Let me know! :)
Penny
Penny

Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2008-01-18, 19:11

Don't see it on the local PBS sched. over the next several weeks but will keep an eye out.........we knew her when !! :lol:
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2008-01-19, 04:41

It's on around here:

Monday, January 21, 11:30pm

CHANNEL 7 (WJCT)A documentary about how Alvin Bell, a black third-grade teacher, impacted his white students in 1960s-era Detroit.
Berry
Berry

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down