The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stargate Atlantis

+2
Berry
Penny
6 posters

Go down

Stargate Atlantis Empty Stargate Atlantis

Post  Penny 2008-07-28, 00:15

I meant to get this posted a couple of weeks ago! Embarassed

Stargate Atlanits started it's new season ... is it the 5th? It was 2 weeks ago, I think. I missed this last Friday night. We were out of town and I forgot to tape it.

They took Col. Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping) off as the commander of the group in Atlantis and put Mr. Woolsey in her place. Not sure if I am going to like this season. I have never really felt the same excitement for this show like I did for Stargate SG1! Sad

Amanda's new television series "Sanctuary" will premiere on SCI FI Channel in the US on October 3, 2008 at 9pm to 11pm ET.

To everything there is a season... With Colonel Samantha Carter not staying on as leader of the Atlantis expedition, Amanda Tapping recently discussed the decisions which led to her leaving the series, the largest being the opportunities of Sanctuary.

"I just want to address this right off," Amanda said. "It was a very difficult decision, not to say that I walked away from Stargate: Atlantis, because I haven't. I still want to be a part of the show. They offered me a very nice contract with the caveat being that I had to make Stargate: Atlantis my first priority, and I totally understood why in terms of timing and scheduling, but I couldn't do it because I knew there was a good possibility that Sanctuary would get worldwide television broadcast. Had I said 'Yes' to what the folks at Stargate: Atlantis wanted, I would've essentially shut down Stage 3 Media and Sanctuary. So, as much as we tried to make it work, and executive producer Joe Malozzi and I were on the phone a lot trying to work things out, we just decided at the end of the day that the timing just was not going to happen. He was very cool. They were wonderful."

Tapping has been part of the Stargate franchise for well over a decade. She will make more than one appearance in season five, but still, her central role in the franchise has come to a close. "The last time I got off phone with Joe I was just bawling. I hung up and started crying and my husband said, 'What? What?' And I said, 'Oh, my God. 11 years. This is huge.'It's been my life, my home, my family - literally - for well over a decade. But the beauty of it is I haven't walked away from it completely. It's not like I turned my back on Stargate: Atlantis. I said, 'Let's see what we can do to make this work.' I will make myself available."

Tapping has always felt that the fans are the life-blood of the franchise, and she has been concerned with their opinions. "I had this whole thought that, 'Oh, my God, the fans are going to hate me,' When I went on to Stargate: Atlantis, in a lot of people's minds I took over for another character, which is an unfair assessment because that's not exactly how it came down. That my going to Stargate: Atlantis precipitated other people leaving is a popular misconception. And now I'm walking away. And I worry they'll think, 'Who the hell is she to do that?' Maybe I concern myself too much with what the fans are saying because I take it so personally, and I've always believed that the fans are the heart of the show - and that's not lip service. I truly believe that. I played out the worse case scenario in my head. As soon as this announcement is made, there are going to be people who are going to slag me off, 'You abandoned this. '" Still, Amanda believes now may be the proper time to move on to other projects, while still keeping her foot in Stargate: Atlantis's door. "I think at the end of the day it's a perfect compromise," Tapping told us. "I'm moving on to my own series. It's a whole new role for me. It's exciting, and it's an interesting show, and I think the fans will love
it. I'm not turning my back on Stargate. I'm certainly still a part of the franchise. Sam Carter is still very much a part of me. I think my Polyanna view of things that's the perfect-case scenario. And I just hope a lot of the fans will eventually see it that way, too."
Penny
Penny

Stargate Atlantis Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Stargate Atlantis Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Stargate Atlantis Empty Re: Stargate Atlantis

Post  Berry 2008-07-28, 01:43

I think she is over-thinking how "fans" will react. Her place in Stargate fandom is secure. She has done a wonderful job and is totally beloved. Richard Picardo who is "taking over" for her is a great character actor and a very funny man. Yes, we will all miss "Sam" ... but give the new guy a chance. I think his character will "grow" on you. :)
Berry
Berry

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  RaTTLHeD 2008-07-28, 09:56

sam never really had much of a presence in the show last season...not like sg1...and woolsey's character's grown on me over the years.
RaTTLHeD
RaTTLHeD

Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Space Pilot 2008-07-28, 15:21

I still think of him as the Doctor from Star Trek. I think his character will change and become less controlling with time. After all, he has no clue on the degree of danger out side the gate.

What is on paper is not as it is once you step through the gate.

Sp

Space Pilot
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Registration date : 2007-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2008-07-28, 18:40

Tapping is a classy lady and I'll be watching her new show, which I hope will give her a better role than SG-A turned out to be. She had it better on SG-1.
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2008-07-28, 19:44

Banjo wrote:Tapping is a classy lady and I'll be watching her new show, which I hope will give her a better role than SG-A turned out to be. She had it better on SG-1.

Yes she is! And I hope she does well with her new show. I have been so disappointed with Stargate Atlantis in so many ways! Sad
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Space Pilot 2008-07-30, 15:55

I had a hard time warming up to the show when it was new, but now seeing many of the reruns, I like SG-A.

I am looking forward to this new show.

Space Pilot
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2008-07-30, 19:06

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My love for Picardo goes back to seeing him do one pretty darn good "Sonny and Cher" routine with Claudia Christian (from Babylon5) during the Karaoke night on the Buffy Cruise I took last summer.

He's really a very fun guy. :)
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  sandisea 2008-07-31, 03:12

I'm still a bit Suspect about this Woolsey addition....then again, I wasn't sure about Sam and I ended up liking her alright...I think I may have a itty bitty problem with changes... scratch
sandisea
sandisea
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post  RaTTLHeD 2008-07-31, 19:18

off subject...but just watched "continuum" this afternoon...

and was well, disappointed...
RaTTLHeD
RaTTLHeD

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2008-08-15, 07:52

RaTTLuRDaMHeD wrote:off subject...but just watched "continuum" this afternoon...

and was well, disappointed...
You were! Sad Is the 2nd one? Aren't there suppose to be 3 movies(is that what they are?) made after Stargate SG1 ended. I wanted to wait till they were all done and buy the set of 3.

What disappointed you about it?
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  RaTTLHeD 2008-08-19, 11:51

yea, its the 2nd movie. not sure if ther's going to be a third. i've heard rumors. also heard rumors of other things sg related...although, i did rent the 2nd movie again the other night...but still felt...

have you seen xmen 3?

kinda like that. if that means anything to you.
RaTTLHeD
RaTTLHeD

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2008-08-21, 02:53

Stargate Atlantis to be cancelled

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2008-08-21, 20:01

Well heck, " He cited the fact that the rising Canadian dollar
versus the U.S. dollar is becoming an expensive way to make
Vancouver-produced shows like those in the "Stargate" family."........if they come to NM to produce new episodes they could save 25% right off the top taxes-wise, plus the lower production costs compared to BC. Of course all the outdoor scenes would have to be on desert worlds....but still.....
:lol:
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  sandisea 2008-08-22, 03:13

Somehow, the straight to DVD plan sounds a bit lame. So does the whole Gate-verse concept. Rolling Eyes
sandisea
sandisea
Transformation
Transformation

Back to top Go down

Post  Space Pilot 2009-01-08, 13:08

Well the end of Stargate Atlantis is here.
I am sad to see it go. The cast has grown into something worth watching, most of the time. As per comments made at the Comicon, the cast is very bonded.

Maybe they will start up "Stargate to the Universe"? Now I will have some other show to fill my need for outerspace travel.

Space Pilot.

Space Pilot
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-01-10, 10:58

Missed the ending of this one too! Sad

Did it end well?
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2009-01-10, 15:24

It was a good ending. I don't think anyone can criticize. Not so with the ending of Battlestar Galactica, so I hear.... Suspect
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Space Pilot 2009-01-12, 13:48

I liked the ending of the SGA. It opens it up for the next series Stargate Univers (coming in 2009).

I was worried that our heroes would be killed off, but not!

The Doctor made an wonderful landing. I would love to be on that ship hidden on the back by of SF. It looked like they were between the two airports (SFO and Oakland).

Sad to think, there will be no more.

SP

Space Pilot
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Back to top Go down

Post  RaTTLHeD 2009-01-12, 15:55

i was suprised. i actually enjoyed the last few episodes and thought the finale was pretty good (better than expected) i just seem to lose interest in SGA over time and didn't even watch most of this season as it aired. (but did go back and catch up on some/most of it)
RaTTLHeD
RaTTLHeD

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-01-12, 19:53

I will have to see if I can watch it on the internet!

Ratt ~ that was kind of how I felt with SA too! Just kind of lost interest. I would watch if I wasn't doing anything else but ... Beatsme
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  sandisea 2009-01-14, 03:08

It looked like they were between the two airports (SFO and Oakland).

I'm pretty sure it's from outside the bay....you can't even see the GG from the Giants ballpark which is way north of the airport....not that it's a sticking point or anything. Cutie

I liked the finale...I wish it was a season finale instead of series. Glad to hear about the next series tho..I was wondering if that was going to be a straight to dvd thing.
sandisea
sandisea
Transformation
Transformation

Back to top Go down

Post  RaTTLHeD 2009-01-14, 09:43

i believe it is supposed to be straight to DVD...not 100%sure tho
RaTTLHeD
RaTTLHeD