The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Akeelah and the Bee

5 posters

Go down

Akeelah and the Bee Empty Akeelah and the Bee

Post  BoardMomma 2009-09-27, 15:40

Another choice by Craig from Netflix. Akeelah and the Bee 155260 Akeelah and the Bee 155260 Akeelah and the Bee 155260 Akeelah and the Bee 155260

This is a nice straightforward feel-good, underdog- triumphs-over-adversity film some how avoids being sappy. I suspect it was the simple good story and the excellent cast.

It's definitly worth your time. A feel good movie with a bit of a suprise twist at the end.

There is a point in the story where Akeelah is made to read a quote out loud. It's tomorrow's jolt. And I think it's my favorite quote now. Akeelah and the Bee 973948
BoardMomma
BoardMomma
On Gossamer Wings
On Gossamer Wings

Akeelah and the Bee Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Akeelah and the Bee Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-03-17

https://blu5community.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Akeelah and the Bee Empty Re: Akeelah and the Bee

Post  Berry 2009-09-27, 16:28

One that I had heard good things about and yet it slipped past my radar. Thanks for the reminder.
Berry
Berry

Akeelah and the Bee Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Akeelah and the Bee Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Covina Guy 2009-09-27, 19:42

I love this movie. I've had the DVD for quite a while & I've probably watched it at least half a dozen times.

I don't remember if it is in the special features of the DVD or someplace else that I heard that the writers had originally written Lawrence Fishburne's roll with the hope of casting Sidney Poitier. I can only imagine how different, but equally entertaining, the original script must have been compared to the actual shooting script that they used.

Covina Guy
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Registration date : 2007-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post  BoardMomma 2009-09-27, 20:08

Poitier is a great actor but Fishburne does a bang up job of playing a highly intelligent professor who has experienced loss and not gotten past it. He lifts Akeelah from her everyday life and gives her the opportunity to become her better self. Then, she does the same for him. Very much a feel good movie and who doesn't need that right now?

CG, I think I would have been surprised if you didn't have the DVD to this movie. Akeelah and the Bee Icon_wink
BoardMomma
BoardMomma
On Gossamer Wings
On Gossamer Wings

Registration date : 2007-03-17

https://blu5community.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Covina Guy 2009-09-27, 23:18

CG, I think I would have been surprised if you didn't have the DVD to this movie.

Would that be because you realize that I have somewhere north of 370 DVD's in my collection??? I am SO glad that I didn't have to pay for all of them. :D

Covina Guy
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-09-27, 23:33

Geez Louise! Hope the technology doesn't change on you (I say as I wonder when I'm going to get rid of my VHS tapes and those little box-like things we had at some point that were going to replace VHS) lol!
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  jojo 2009-09-28, 11:06

Have to check it out, thanks AR!!
jojo
jojo

Registration date : 2007-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Ancient Roswellian 2009-09-28, 20:21

Covina Guy wrote:
CG, I think I would have been surprised if you didn't have the DVD to this movie.

Would that be because you realize that I have somewhere north of 370 DVD's in my collection??? I am SO glad that I didn't have to pay for all of them. Akeelah and the Bee Icon_biggrin

I knew you had a bunch...didn't realize it was that many but DVD's are a great gift aren't they Akeelah and the Bee Icon_wink.
Ancient Roswellian
Ancient Roswellian
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Covina Guy 2009-09-29, 01:28

but DVD's are a great gift aren't they

It is really nice to get them as gifts but it is also really nice to have friends who have worked in the proper divisions of film studios where they could get me handfulls of DVDs at various times of the year. I wish those friends still worked at those jobs.

Covina Guy
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-09-29, 01:45

My daughter has some copy of the 100 greatest movies ever made...and she is trying to Netflix her way thru them. Today we have Modern Times with charlie Chaplin and In the Heat of the Night with Sidney Poitier.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum