The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mr. Popper's Penguins

2 posters

Go down

Mr. Popper's Penguins Empty Mr. Popper's Penguins

Post  Liz47 2011-06-13, 14:28

One of my beloved childhood books is going to be butchered by Hollywood... censored
Liz47
Liz47

Mr. Popper's Penguins Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Mr. Popper's Penguins Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-12-01

Back to top Go down

Mr. Popper's Penguins Empty Re: Mr. Popper's Penguins

Post  Banjo 2011-06-13, 18:08

I had never heard of it so am safe from potential 'butchering' but some of the actors are making the rounds of the talk shows, hyping it. Jim Carrey on Leno last week was pretty good.
Banjo
Banjo

Mr. Popper's Penguins Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Mr. Popper's Penguins Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-06-17, 14:51

BY ROGER EBERT / June 15, 2011

Mr. Popper's Penguins" is a stupefying dumb family movie proving that penguins have limited charisma as pets. I mean, what do they do? They sit on eggs, they waddle, they eat fish and they squawk. Sometimes they might snap at you. The movie stars Jim Carrey, who is in his pleasant mode. It would have helped if he were in his manic mode, although it's hard to get a rise out of a penguin.

The movie is inspired by a 1938 children's book, apparently beloved by many. I haven't read it, so I'm trying to imagine why kids might like it. My best guess is that the idea of living in your home with penguins is more delightful than the experience. Penguins look cute in their little tuxedos, and kids can imagine being friends with them. The problem with a movie is that they take on an actual presence that gets old real fast.
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz47 2011-06-18, 02:57

Haha, what kid doesn't wish there were a dozen penguins living in his or her house!?
Liz47
Liz47

Registration date : 2009-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum