The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

APB

2 posters

Go down

APB Empty APB

Post  Banjo 2017-02-07, 15:53

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I debated whether to watch this premire since my 'quota' of police procedural shows is pretty well filled by NCIS and Blue Bloods. But then I saw that the main characters name is Gideon and since that was the name of my best friend in Jr. high, I decided, why not.

Then when I saw that the 'tech billionaire' gave them long range, wireless Tasers, multi-rotors,  and Cadillacs for patrol cars, things were looking up, so I'll give it a chance with more episodes.

The long range, wireless Taser is something someone needs to invent in the real world because it gives the cops a weapon to immobilize the perp without getting too close and not having to resort to a gun. Right now they have short range weapons, Tasers, pepper spray, billy clubs, etc. but what they need is a  medium range weapon that will immobilize out at 50-60 ft. If the perp has a knife, club, etc. they wouldn't have to resort to a gun.  I've thought of some sort of Kevlar netting that could be launched from a tube or 'gun type' weapon but it would have to be small and easily carried and deployed.  Wild animal taggers have such a device but it is way too bulky to be practical for police use.
Banjo
Banjo

APB Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100APB Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

APB Empty Re: APB

Post  Rus 2017-02-08, 08:31

The show wasn't that great. Maybe it'll get better.

What's the range on a beanbag from a shotgun? Those are effective but maybe you would need to be a bit closer for accuracy. But then again the police would need to tot around have a large bulky shotgun. Maybe someone could invent a projectile stunner with it's own power source like a lithium battery built in. scratch
Rus
Rus
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2017-02-09, 10:05

Bean bag rounds aren't that effective at actually incapacitating someone. They are more of a distraction in most field situations. What I have in mind is something that will cause the perp to not be able to attack officers with knives or clubs and allow the cops to get close and disarm him without harm. Of course if he has a gun that's a different situation and they have no choice but to use deadly force.

The sort of situation where I think new technology would be useful is the "James Boyd" case that happened here several years ago and created the biggest uproar seen here in years and the ramifications are still bubbling.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum