The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50

5 posters

Go down

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Empty Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50

Post  Penny 2009-06-25, 20:21

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50

LOS ANGELES – Michael Jackson, the sensationally gifted child star who rose to become the "King of Pop" and the biggest celebrity in the world only to fall from his throne in a freakish series of scandals, died Thursday. He was 50.
Jackson died at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles. Ed Winter, the assistant chief coroner for Los Angeles County, confirmed his office had been notified of the death and would handle the investigation.

The circumstances of Jackson's death were not immediately clear. Jackson was not breathing when Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics responded to a call at his Los Angeles home about 12:30 p.m., Capt. Steve Ruda told the Los Angeles Times. The paramedics performed CPR and took him to the hospital, Ruda told the newspaper.

Jackson's death brought a tragic end to a long, bizarre, sometimes farcical decline from his peak in the 1980s, when he was popular music's premier all-around performer, a uniter of black and white music wh shattered the race barrier on MTV, dominated the charts and dazzled even more on stage.

His 1982 album "Thriller" — which included the blockbuster hits "Beat It," "Billie Jean" and "Thriller" — is the best-selling album of all time, with an estimated 50 million copies sold worldwide.

The public first knew him in the late 1960s, when as a boy he was the precocious, spinning lead singer of the Jackson 5, the music group he formed with his four older brothers. Among their No. 1 hits were "I Want You Back," "ABC," and "I'll Be There."

He was perhaps the most exciting performer of his generation, known for his feverish, crotch-grabbing dance moves and his high-pitched voice punctuated with squeals and titters. His single sequined glove, tight, military-style jacket and aviator sunglasses were trademarks second only to his ever-changing, surgically altered appearance.

"For Michael to be taken away from us so suddenly at such a young age, I just don't have the words," said Quincy Jones, who produced "Thriller." "He was the consummate entertainer and his contributions and legacy will be felt upon the world forever. I've lost my little brother today, and part of my soul has gone with him."

Jackson ranked alongside Elvis Presley and the Beatles as the biggest pop sensations of all time. He united two of music's biggest names when he was briefly married to Presley's daughter, Lisa Marie, and Jackson's death immediately evoked that of Presley himself, who died at age 42 in 1977.

As years went by, Jackson became an increasingly freakish figure — a middle-aged man-child weirdly out of touch with grown-up life. His skin became lighter, his nose narrower, and he spoke in a breathy, girlish voice. He surrounded himself with children at his Neverland ranch, often wore a germ mask while traveling and kept a pet chimpanzee named Bubbles as one of his closest companions.

"It seemed to me that his internal essence was at war with the norms of the world. It's as if he was trying to defy gravity," said Michael Levine, a Hollywood publicist who represented Jackson in the early 1990s. He called Jackson a "disciple of P.T. Barnum" and said the star appeared fragile at the time but was "much more cunning and shrewd about the industry than anyone knew."

Jackson caused a furor in 2002 when he playfully dangled his infant son, Prince Michael II, over a hotel balcony in Berlin while a throng of fans watched from below.

In 2005, he was cleared of charges he molested a 13-year-old cancer survivor at Neverland in 2003. He had been accused of plying the boy with alcohol and groping him, and of engaging in strange and inappropriate behavior with other children.

The case followed years of rumors about Jackson and young boys. In a TV documentary, he had acknowledged sharing his bed with children, a practice he described as sweet and not at all sexual.

Despite the acquittal, the lurid allegations that came out in court took a fearsome toll on his career and image, and he fell into serious financial trouble.

Jackson was preparing for what was to be his greatest comeback: He was scheduled for an unprecedented 50 shows at a London arena, with the first set for July 13. He was in rehearsals in Los Angeles for the concert, an extravaganza that was to capture the classic Jackson magic: showstopping dance moves, elaborate staging and throbbing dance beats.

Singer Dionne Warwick said: "Michael was a friend and undoubtedly one of the world's greatest entertainers that I fortunately had the pleasure of working with. ... We have lost an icon in our industry."

Hundreds of people gathered outside the hospital as word of his death spread. The emergency entrance at the UCLA Medical Center, which is near Jackson's rented home, was roped off with police tape.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Michael Jackson has jus died," a woman boarding a Manhattan bus called out, shortly after the news was announced. Immediately many riders reached for their cell phones.

So many people wanted to verify the early reports of Jackson's death that the computers running Google's news section interpreted the fusillade of "Michael Jackson" requests as an automated attack for about half an hour Thursday evening.

In New York's Times Square, a low groan went up in the crowd when a screen flashed that Jackson had died, and people began relaying the news to friends by cell phone.

"No joke. King of Pop is no more. Wow," Michael Harris, 36, of New York City, read from a text message a friend sent to his telephone. "It's like when Kennedy was assassinated. I will always remember being in Times Square when Michael Jackson died."
Penny
Penny

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Empty Re: Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50

Post  Berry 2009-06-26, 01:22

Only 50 years old...so unexpected. I was saddened though by the story that some of
his family heard about it via the TV. That must be a terrible way to
hear such news.
Berry
Berry

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Empty Re: Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50

Post  Penny 2009-06-27, 10:31

I hadn't heard that but not surprised ... he was from a HUGE family! That is sad!

I am just ready to NOT hear about it constantly! They are just repeating the same stuff over and over and over again!!! Oh well, that is the media for you! beatdown
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  jojo 2009-06-29, 07:52

I was driving home from work and heard it on the radio, before it hit the TV news.....the news spread rather quickly due to the internet, which is why some family members heard it through the media. They were trying to say he was in a comma until family members were notified, but the news of his death was too big and spread quickly!!!!

I have enjoyed watching some of his old videos and seeing Michael when he was a "normal" person. I wish he could have stayed that way.

Lisa Marie Presley said in an interview that he had always talked about dying young. He certainly will go down in history as the one who changed the music industry into what it is today.....
jojo
jojo

Registration date : 2007-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-06-29, 09:36

Wish I thought THAT was any kind of improvement. rockband
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-07-02, 19:37

I guess this isn't too surprising! :eh?:

Jackson/Rowe Not the Biological Parents
Posted Jun 30th 2009 12:00PM by TMZ Staff

We've learned Michael Jackson was not the biological father of any of his children. And Debbie Rowe is not the biological mother of the two kids she bore for Michael. All three children were conceived in vitro -- outside the womb.

Multiple sources deeply connected to the births tell us Michael was not the sperm donor for any of his kids. Debbie's eggs were not used. She was merely the surrogate, and paid well for her services in the births of Michael Jr. and Paris.

In the case of Prince Michael II (the youngest), we're told the surrogate was never told of the identity of the "receiving parent" -- Michael Jackson. Three days after Prince was born at Grossmont Hospital in San Diego County, Jackson's lawyer came to the hospital to pick the baby up and deliver him to Michael.

We do not know if Jackson chose the sperm or egg donors or if he even knew who they were.

Although Rowe is not the biological mother, it's not a slam dunk that she would lose a custody battle. This type of case has never been litigated in California courts. Since Rowe was married to Jackson when Michael Jr. and Paris were born, there's a presumption that she's the biological parent. That presumption can be rebutted by other evidence.

We know there are documents outlining the whole arrangement for the birth of all three kids. Nonetheless, it's still an open issue with the courts.
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-07-02, 21:13

I hope his kids get a safe environment to grow up in.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ancient Roswellian 2009-07-03, 11:38

No Cry What a mess!

Did any of you see the interview with Depak Chopra and Michael Jackson. It's so telling of Michael...he even said he was Peter Pan and he didn't grow up.

It's sad but not surprising. And if Lisa Marie said he told her he'd end up like her dad did she try to get him help?

I'm not passing judgment on Michael's life...I wasn't there and didn't witness it so who knows what the truth is. I do know that he has met his judgment from the one above and I won't know which way it went until I meet mine.

But I will make this observation. Our society is very sick....very sick.
Ancient Roswellian
Ancient Roswellian
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-07-03, 11:47

Why? Because of all the media coverage of this?

I myself am not interested but I understand that a lot of people are.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ancient Roswellian 2009-07-03, 17:11

Hence my comments that our society is very sick.
Ancient Roswellian
Ancient Roswellian
Flutterby
Flutterby

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-07-03, 17:26

Not saying that only Black people are interested in MJ's passing, but for example, the press has reported that a much greater percentage of Black Americans think the coverage is appropriate. If that is the case then I surmise that many of them hold Michael Jackson up as an example of a famous and influential black entertainer. Someone they grew up listening to and someone whose talent they admire. And therefore they feel a loss. So a public mourning is taking place.

I think similar outpourings came at the deaths of Kennedy (both John and Bobby), Marilyn Monroe, Princess Diana and I'm sure there are more.

I don't think that makes anyone "sick".

Now if you are saying that YOU personally don't find MJ to be much of a role model...well, I would agree with you. He obviously lived a strange existence and had a lot of "issues" . So although I don't count myself as a fan, I do hope that he has achieved peace at last.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2009-07-03, 17:31

I have managed to avoid all MJ coverage so far, other than news coverage where I don't hit the remote fast enough. It was interesting to see the total lack of interest at the music camp when news of his death trickled out last week.

I think that any "sickness" is basically media hype, rather than an indictment of society in general although there is certainly a small minority that seem to think this sort of thing is important..... scratch
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-07-03, 17:37

I don't know about "important" but I really cried at Princess Diana's death. I'm not sure why. I'm not British and I didn't really follow all that she did before her death. But I had watched her wedding on tv and seen how the dream all crumbled for her and I saw her make great strides towards being her own person. Admired her work on getting the problem of land mines in the public awareness. But none of that really explains why I felt actually bereft at the time. I don't understand it myself.

I have had relatives die that I never shed a tear for.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ancient Roswellian 2009-07-03, 20:51

No, I'm not a Jackson fan. No, it wasn't the media hype that made me say society is sick. The media is just doing what it does best...blow things out of proportion. I do think there are people out there that feed on that hype and they are the ones that I was addressing. I just made a statement. It's open to interpretation and misinterpretation...my bad.

When I was talking about not judging Michael Jackson that remark came from things that I had read on other web sites not here. They were very negative and judgmental and being very "old school" about respect especially where someone has died that remark came out in anguish because these weren't social sites these were news media sites.

Berry wrote:I think similar outpourings came at the deaths of Kennedy (both John and Bobby), Marilyn Monroe, Princess Diana and I'm sure there are more.

I don't think that makes anyone "sick".

If my blanket statement made you think that was what I was saying let me assure you it was not. Grieving over anyone whether in the entertainment field, politics or whatever is natural. I shed quite a few tears over Carradine. I honestly liked him as an actor and a human being and the details of his death are sad.

Like you I cried for Princess Diana for days and didn't know why. I can only assume in my instance it's because of all the princess stories my mom told me... The princess marries her hansome prince and they live happily ever after. And..as we know that didn't happen for Diana...and then she died.

Basically, it's all the negative connotations that make me say society is sick..it is.. again it's just my opinion. I'm not thinking minority or majority...I'm thinking the death of Jackson has brought out more symptoms...it's not about just him or just a black and/or white issue. I stand by what I said.
Ancient Roswellian
Ancient Roswellian
Flutterby
Flutterby

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2009-07-04, 14:31

" I stand by what I said.".....as well you should AR and I don't disagree. It's interesting how the passing of famous people affect us differently. I can't say I've come close to crying at any of their passing and the only one I felt what could be described as a "loss" was JFK because he represented an unfulfilled potential as well as being a serious loss to the nation within the Constitutional structure, however you choose to look at it.

However Diana was a special case and whatever she may have accomplished in life, or not, she left behind people, family, whom she should have had an influence on and didn't deserve her fate.

I have much less sympathy for anyone who dies "by their own hand" whether that be drugs or weird sex practices or some other irresponsible behavior.
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-07-31, 11:07

Hold the phone, did Joe Jackson just confirm Michael had a love child?

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Omer
July 7: Omer Bhatti (far left) sits beside Rebbie, Janet, Randy, Tito,
Marlon, Jackie and Jermaine at the L.A. memorial service. (Reuters)

Joe Jackon was just interviewed for the umpteenth time, this time by the website Newsone.com. But this one-on-one actually got papa Joe to do something other than plug his new record label.

When the interviewer asks if Omer Bhatti, who was seated alongside the Jackson family at the singer's memorial service, was Jackson's love child, Joe Jackson says: "Yes, I knew he had another son."

With some further prodding, Jackson continues: "He looks like a Jackson, he acts like a Jackson, he can dance like a Jackson... this boy's a fantastic dancer."

Now, Joe Jackson may not know Omer Bhatti from Ugly Betty. Or he may just be looking for another way to cash in on his late son's legacy. You can almost see the dollar signs dancing in his eyes as an imaginary marquee flashes behind them: "Madison Square Garden! One Night Only! Michael Jackson's Love Child Performs 'Thriller. SOLD OUT!'
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-07-31, 11:11

I wonder how old he is and who the mother is? Has anyone heard anything more about this?
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-07-31, 11:16

Omer Bhatti: I'm Not Michael Jackson's Love Child

Michael Jackson's rumored love child, Omer Bhatti, has revealed how the star made him his "honorary" son after inviting him to move in with him years ago.

Omer Bhatti, 25, hails from Norway, and lived at Neverland ranch for eight years. Rumors say Jackson fathered him during a one-night stand with his mom, Pia.

But he says there is no biological link between them, despite the rumors that he is Jackson's secret son. He says the music legend was just his "best friend."

Omer, who still lives in Norway, reveals that Jackson used to say that he was "like a son" to him and thinks that must be the reason for the love child rumors.

Confiding in a close friend from Oslo, Omer Bhatti said: “Michael Jackson is not my father. He and I were just very, very close. He was my best friend.”

Omer was a guest of honor at Jackson’s memorial service in L.A. two weeks ago – sitting along with the pop legend’s closest relatives in the front row.

“Michael always used to say I was like a son to him,” he said. “But my true parents are in Norway. The reason I was asked to sit with his family at the memorial service is because I was Michael’s closest
friend – not because I am his son.”

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Omer-bhatti-image

Bhatti also confided in a girl pal: “Michael was such a special person to me and I cannot believe he is gone, I am in total shock. I have lost weight because I cannot eat anything. All I can think about is how
Michael died.”

Omer Bhatti says he moved to Neverland Ranch in 1996 after Michael Jackson met him and his parents in Tunisia where 12-year-old Omer had been on holiday.

Jackson was so taken with Omer, who he dubbed "Little Michael," that he had the adolescent boy, his mother, father and sister move to L.A. with him immediately.

Michael gave Omer’s mum Pia a job as a nanny for his son Prince Michael and employed dad Huayoun as a driver. Meanwhile, he and Omer grew very, very close.

Another of Omer’s friends, Ricky Harlow, also reveals how Omer’s bond with Jackson grew so strong that he shared the star’s bed – while his family stayed in a cottage in a different part of the sprawling
Neverland complex.

Amazingly, the sleepovers took place at a time when Michael Jackson was still reeling from allegations that he had molested 13-year-old Jordan Chandler.

Continue reading this article in the UK's Daily Mirror ...

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Michael-jackson-and-omer-bhattiMichael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50 Omer-bhatti-michael-jackson_277x350
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down