The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message

+3
Berry
BoardMomma
Melandra
7 posters

Go down

Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Empty Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message

Post  Melandra 2009-11-25, 22:00

So we set up a new office space for me. I am really enjoying it and
getting online a lot more that I was. I started watching Angel while I
set up things in the office. I'm now hooked and watching it again. Am I
just being nostalgic?? This is a really good show.

I enjoy Twilight, I do...It's not the best writing ever, but it has potential. My actual opinion on Twilight is that it reads like mediocre fanfiction. Like someone who took characters and did something fun with them, but didn't really have the skill to show the characters fully.

I read this review of Twilight not too long ago that talked about the message it is sending to young girls. -Don't bleed too much, don't be too emotional, don't make sudden moves- or your boyfriend could go crazy and bite you. I thought they were going a little extreme with that thought.

Then, I went to see New Moon (Twilight Sequel). I LOVE New Moon, it is my favorite of the Twilight books. Reason one is Jacob. Yep, I'm TEAM JACOB all the way. My co-workers just don't get it. But it is in the writing for me. And the links that were posted in some of the other Twilight threads comparing it to Roswell said it the best. Edward: "oh you smell good" Bella: "oh you are mysterious" BOOM: they are soul mates??? please.

With New Moon, Edward leaves Bella, for her own good. Cause again, the Boys seem to decide what is best for the girls in this world. And she completely falls apart. So you decide with one look that you can't live without this guy and go months in a comatose like state because your boyfriend of a year breaks up with you. Sheesh. Talk about melodramatic.

Anyway, with New Moon Jacob comes in to befriend Bella when she is lonely and because they are friends they actually take the time to develop an intimate relationship. Both characters grow as a result. That is why I've always been Team Jacob.

So here is me at the theater super excited and then I see....Bella distraught because a boy leaves her...she becomes friends with Jacob...who turns out to be a werewolf...that's cool in itself, but if you think about it all of the men in her life turn out to be some kind of hidden violent creature. a bit scary.

When it really hit me was when another werewolf whose mate Emily has scars on her face was discussed. Jacob: "Sam got mad, and Emily was standing too close....you can't make me mad Bella" um, that does send a disturbing message.

Holly cow, I'm not so sure I am enjoying Twilight anymore. Message to young girls: boys are dangerous, be even tempered and cautious, don't make them mad or you could get hurt.

WTF?!?!?!?

Buffy's message was all about the power of "just a girl" to take on scary things. Angel's message was all about redemption. They took on the supernatural and left a positive legacy.

Vampires in literature/movies/tv are always a metaphor for something. Stephanie Meyer shows a complete lack of understanding of that in her writing. Bella does grow into a somewhat stronger character, but she still does not speak to me as someone girls should want to be. Buffy is someone they should want to be.

I am sad that I can no longer enjoy Twilight in the same way. But I am even more sad that so many women young and old are buying into the "romance" of Edward without thinking about whether Bella is someone they would actually want to emulate.
Melandra
Melandra

Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-16

Back to top Go down

Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Empty Re: Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message

Post  BoardMomma 2009-11-25, 23:14

Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message 580898 Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message 580898 Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message 580898 Love what you said. I did see Twilight. Don't think I'll see New Moon.

It's very scary and creepy...all the fandom that this has garnered. Who knows what they are really thinking?

I know that someone wrote a thesis on Buffy and how it was all about death and getting to know death and be comfortable with it. Not sure I get that but at some point I may hunt that thesis down and read it.

I read a blog a while back that pretty much said what you have said. The blogger ended with this little tidbit that made me laugh.

....And Buffy staked Edward....The End. Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message 156488
BoardMomma
BoardMomma
On Gossamer Wings
On Gossamer Wings

Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-03-17

https://blu5community.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-11-26, 10:54

Wait till you see Season 5 of Angel, Mel. James Marsters joins the cast...and though it starts slowly for him...he has some great episodes by the end.
Don't get discouraged by Season 4...it was pretty much disliked by both cast and viewers for the crazy turn it took.
They were back on track by Season 5.

Saw the first Twilight movie....my only reaction was "Real vampires don't sparkle." roflmao

Last edited by Berry on 2009-11-26, 18:52; edited 1 time in total
Berry
Berry

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2009-11-26, 14:08

That's a really good analysis Mel. Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message 842238 The only "saving grace" in how the Twilight series may affect younger girls is in the fact that they are younger and therefore would not see the threat from boys to such a degree. But rather would see the whole concept in a more romantic light, divided perhaps into three major "camps", those girls who have boyfriends and either wish they were more like Edward or Jacob, or the other "camp" who are glad they are not.

And the third camp who have no boyfriend but are desperate for one.... Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message 170930 ....and look at Edward and Jacob as possible role models for who they should look out for, either positively or negatively.

Which brings me to another point....that Twilight represents just one example of the current selections in vampire mythology. Your points about Bella's being distraught/lonely, etc. could be countered by looking at other vampire stories out there, the best imho is Charlaine Harris' series, I think there's 8 or 9 now, I only have 6, which haven't been read by nearly as many people as the Twilight series but does present its female protagonist, Sookie Stackhouse, in a more powerful and self - determining light. The TV version, True Blood carries this over pretty well, of course its total audience is very small compared to the movie audience for Twilight. Plus the fact that few parents would want their teen-age daughters watching it...at least some episodes....but still...
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Melandra 2009-11-27, 12:25

Yeah, and then Stephanie Meyer says that it is all about the "romance" of waiting to have sex...but I don't buy that since Bella is begging to "become a vampire" from book one. Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Icon_rolleyes Again with Meyer not seeing her own metaphors?? If she at least tried to make an argument for Bella wanting to take control of her own sexuality I would have more respect for Meyer and Bella....but no...Meyer misses another opportunity.
Melandra
Melandra

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2009-11-27, 17:08

I saw New Moon today. Haven't read the books so can't compare, but it was rather tedious to see Bella mooning and pining and 'suffering' all over the place. Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Icon_tongue Make up your mind kid ! Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Icon_rolleyes At least it was fun seeing Dakota Fanning playing a vampire.... Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Icon_wink
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-11-27, 19:44

I saw this on Fox the other day....

http://video.foxnews.com/11993538/obsessive-love
Penny
Penny

Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog 2009-11-28, 14:06

Here is a wonderful video that sums it all up. I stay away from all things Twilight. In fact, that's why I have been less interested in some of the other Roswell forums that I used to visit and Jero suggested I stop in here. :D

Here's Buffy vs Edward.

It's interesting to read why the guy made the video. Article Here.
Groundhog
Groundhog
Cocoon Stage
Cocoon Stage

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-11-29, 09:08

I loved it, GH! Thanks for sharing. Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message Icon_lol
Penny
Penny

Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Melandra 2009-11-29, 16:38

I couldn't play the fox news clip, stupid computer or something. I LOVE the Buffy vs. Edward stuff and the article is amazing. I can't even say how much I love it...I have to go watch it again
Melandra
Melandra

Back to top Go down

Post  Melandra 2009-11-29, 19:07

Joss's Equity Now Speach

"Recognizing somebody else's power does not diminish your own"

I think I'm changing my opinion of Joss because of this. Previously, I thought he was a bit too egotistical, even though I've always loved his work.
Melandra
Melandra

Back to top Go down

Post  Melandra 2009-11-29, 19:16

Fun with youtube - This video could have been executed better, but I love the idea of it

Tribute to Joss Whedon and Buffy Women
Melandra
Melandra

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog 2009-12-01, 21:15

Joss has a lot of talent. I haven't watched all of his stuff but I guess I liked Firefly as much as any. :D
Groundhog
Groundhog
Cocoon Stage
Cocoon Stage

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  jero 2009-12-01, 22:59

wave

BoardMomma wrote: ....And Buffy staked Edward....The End. Twilight vs. Buffy/Angel message 156488

lol! LMAO!!!! lol!
jero
jero
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down