The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alien Covenant

2 posters

Go down

Alien Covenant Empty Alien Covenant

Post  Banjo 2017-05-19, 11:07

....going to see it on Tuesday.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/19/15567256/alien-covenant-aliens-prometheus-franchise-ridley-scott-explainer

I'm glad for this. Keeping track of that timeline isn't easy
Banjo
Banjo

Alien Covenant Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Alien Covenant Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Alien Covenant Empty Re: Alien Covenant

Post  Rus 2017-05-19, 16:59

Going to see it tomorrow. two thumbs up
Rus
Rus
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2017-05-23, 14:37

Saw it today, an adequate if predictable addition to the "Alien" genre. Really good sets, special effects and techno-babble and of course they set it up for another sequel . What's the term for sequel the 4th -5th time around ? It will take the ship 7 years to reach its original destination. I predict the next 'sequel' will be out long before that. scratch
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Rus 2017-05-23, 16:56

I saw it on Saturday. I think adequate is an appropriate term to use. I did like it and it had everything that an Alien/Prometheus movie should have. I do think they took too many liberties with the "genetic advancement" of the alien species given this film takes place 20 years before the first Alien movie. However, this could be explained by saying the original Alien crew went to a different planet with non-enhanced Aliens. But certainly word would have gotten back to Earth explaining the dangers of these Aliens. Yet in the original Alien movie this seems to be their first encounter. scratch One of several plot issues by all in all an enjoyable film.
Rus
Rus
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2017-05-24, 14:19

Good points but we don't know what sort of communication the various crews had with Earth. Also, I don't think it's ever been made clear how far away the planets are from Earth which would determine the transmit time of the comms. But we can assume that the ships velocities are all sub-light speeds given the need for "hyper-sleep".

In case you need to follow speculation.

http://www.alien-covenant.com/topic/44484

BigDave

Posted May-03-2017 7:05 PM

Indeed i found other definitions for Origae, which indeed link to the Auriga constellation, and here is some of the Stars with Planets known to Mankind as of today.

HD 40979 108LY Away
HD 49674 144LY Away (Star is like our Sun)
HD 45350 160LY Away (Star is like our Sun)
HD 43691 260LY Away
HD 42176 419LY Away

But this does not mean there destination is any of those, but i do think its possible its a Star in the Auriga constellatio
Follow us: @Scifiedcom on Twitter | Scifiedcom on Facebook

I can't find any reference to a star named Origae so we must assume that's it's fictional which means that it's not possible to determine its distance from Earth. But the above speculation would mean that any communications from any star in the Auriga constellation would be essentially impractical. A minimum of 108 years for a one-way transmission... tongue

So the writers/director needs to step up and specify the distance to Origae, presumably pretty close to Earth as astronomical distances go,  otherwise any plot line dependent on  communications is bogus.

What the 'AW' distance is , is bogus. If they mean 'AU' then that is a real measurement . One AU is the average distance from the Earth to the Sun, about 93 million miles. So 7 AU's would not even get them out of the Solar System by far....

Distance from Earth to Pluto
Pluto is an average of 5,913,520,000 km (39.5AU) from the Sun. Earth is an average of 149,600,000 km (1.0AU) from the sun. This would indicate a distance of over 5.7 billion kilometers or 38.5 AU between the two.

Until someone proves Einstein wrong, no luck so far.. roflmao or a "hyper drive" is invented space travel for humans will remain the realm of S-F, as will aliens visiting Earth. Rolling Eyes
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down