The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Midway

Go down

Midway Empty Midway

Post  Banjo 2019-11-12, 15:13

I just saw it $6.20 for the Tuesday matinee. It is worth seeing , although there were so many small technical errors that I lost count, it was true to the historical facts and the errors didn't detract from the film. Only WWII airplane geeks would notice the errors except for some CGI dimension errors and a few social, military gaffs which wouldn't require specialized aircraft knowledge and specific aircraft markings vs. the time periods depicted.

I will mention just one....the Douglas Dauntless SBD dive bombers were shown to have the later white star insignia without the red disc in the center prior to April 1942 when the red disc was removed to avoid confusion with the Japanese markings. It showed the SBDs with the plain white star at the time of Pearl Harbor.

Okay, I can't resist...... Rolling Eyes ...a more egregious error was showing the American carrier aircraft component as being only SBDs. In reality they consisted of a mix of fighters, Grumman F4F Wildcats, Douglas TBD torpedo bombers and the SBDs. There were a couple of scenes showing the TBDs in flight but none on the carriers and the absence of the F4Fs a more glaring error since they were the only operational Navy fighter available at the time although there were some Marine F2As Brewster Buffalos stationed on Midway Island which participated in its defense but weren't shown either, and we were lead to believe that only the SBDs, again, participated in the island defense, a tactical oddity if it were to have actually occured.

Okay, that's enough, I will leave you in peace. Two Hearts
Banjo
Banjo

Midway Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Midway Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down