The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Star Trek Matters

3 posters

Go down

Why Star Trek Matters Empty Re: Why Star Trek Matters

Post  BoardMomma 2013-07-02, 00:29

I can't believe I didn't see this earlier. That article is excellent and so true. Yes, I do wish we were further along because I remember thinking while watching the original series that I could be living and working on the Moon and at the time that's what I wanted to do. Having dreams are great....I wonder if the new movies will kick start that feeling again. I hope so.
BoardMomma
BoardMomma
On Gossamer Wings
On Gossamer Wings

Why Star Trek Matters Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Why Star Trek Matters Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-03-17

https://blu5community.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2013-07-02, 01:07

Buzz Aldrin is completely confident that we are one generation from having outposts on Mars.
Berry
Berry

Why Star Trek Matters Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Why Star Trek Matters Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2013-07-02, 12:09

If by 'one generation' he means 25 years from now, I would say that it would be technically possible but the main problem is that we have no political leadership in sight who could get the ball rolling with their own prestige and get the funding and companies started on the project. Because of that I think that 25 years is very optimistic. Remember when Kennedy proclaimed that "we will have a man on the moon within this decade". It happened, he had the prestige and of course beating the Soviets was a big motivator. No such motivation exists today and we will probably be content to watch the Chinese.  Too bad....Rolling Eyes

Despite the mini-skirts of the original series, they have done some very innovative gender stuff.
.....no, not "despite" the mini-skirts, why did so many teenage boys become fans ...? Think about it....scratch 

There are some ways in which I think we’re living the dream but the physical transportation of people out between star systems is still hundreds if not thousands of years out.
She may be right. If Einsteinian theories ( and they have always withstood all tests) hold true then there will be no practical way for intersteller travel. Even a "hyper drive" may be impractical unless you specify many, many times the speed of light. Star Trek's "10 times light speed", if I recall correctly, won't cut it. Only some sort of "short cut", wormholes, etc. would make travel over interstellar distances practical within a human lifetime, even within our own Galaxy.
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2014-03-19, 14:07

Berry
Berry

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2014-03-19, 15:17

That's a nice model. Too big to make a flying model, but many smaller flying models have been made over the years. Here's one of the better ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQs5VQsggYs
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down