The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCI FI Channel to become Syfy

+4
RaTTLHeD
sandisea
Berry
Penny
8 posters

Go down

SCI FI Channel to become Syfy Empty SCI FI Channel to become Syfy

Post  Penny 2009-03-27, 18:46

SCI FI Channel to become Syfy; “Imagine Greater” is new message

Building on 16 years of water-cooler programming and soaring ratings growth following its most-watched year ever, SCI FI Channel is evolving into Syfy, beginning this summer, Dave Howe, president, SCI FI, announced today.

By changing the name to Syfy, which remains phonetically identical, the new brand broadens perceptions and embraces a wider range of current and future imagination-based entertainment beyond just the traditional sci-fi genre, including fantasy, supernatural, paranormal, reality, mystery, action and adventure. It also positions the brand for future growth by creating an ownable trademark that can travel easily with consumers across new media and nonlinear digital platforms, new international channels and extend into new business ventures.

"Imagine Greater" will become the new brand message and tagline, inviting both consumers and advertisers into a new era of unlimited imagination, exceptional experiences and greater entertainment.

Syfy more clearly captures the mainstream appeal of the world's biggest entertainment category, and reflects the network's ongoing strategy to create programming that's more accessible and relatable to new audiences. Syfy will continue to celebrate the traditional roots of the genre, while opening the brand to accommodate a broader range of imagination-based entertainment.

"Without abandoning our legacy or our core audience, we needed to cultivate a distinct point of view with a name that we could own that invites more people in and recognizes our broader range of programming with literally something for everyone," Howe said in a statement. "Syfy allows us to build on our 16-year heritage of success with a new brand built on the power that fuels our genre: the imagination. Syfy ushers in a new era of unlimited imagination, exceptional experiences and greater entertainment that paves the way for us to truly become a global lifestyle brand."

Syfy—unlike the generic entertainment category "sci-fi"—firmly establishes a uniquely ownable trademark that is portable across all nonlinear digital platforms and beyond, from Hulu to iTunes. Syfy also creates an umbrella brand name that can extend into new adjacent businesses under the Syfy Ventures banner, including Syfy Games, Syfy Films and Syfy Kids.

Additionally, as the channel's footprint expands rapidly around the globe with the launch of more international channels, Syfy meets the need of a globally relevant, trademarkable brand that stands for something unique to the brand in each territory.

The new brand evolution will launch in July, in tandem with the premiere of the new scripted drama Warehouse 13 on air and at SCIFI.COM, backed by an aggressive marketing campaign, which will kick off this spring.

Whadda' think??? scratch
Penny
Penny

SCI FI Channel to become Syfy Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100SCI FI Channel to become Syfy Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

SCI FI Channel to become Syfy Empty Re: SCI FI Channel to become Syfy

Post  Berry 2009-03-27, 21:41

It's Ka-raaaa-zy! alien

Interview with the network President at Mediablvd

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Berry
Berry

SCI FI Channel to become Syfy Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100SCI FI Channel to become Syfy Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  sandisea 2009-03-28, 04:45

:what?:

Read both of those articles now...I still don't get it. scratch

I don't think it's gettable.

I like SciFi. but why
sandisea
sandisea
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post  RaTTLHeD 2009-03-28, 10:15

with the exception of "battlestar" and reruns of certain other programs...i'm pretty sure we can all guess which ones...it's been a while since it has been a "sci-fi network". sure they try. but come on. wrestling? and reality programs?

i used to watch scifi all the time...not so anymore...
RaTTLHeD
RaTTLHeD

Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  jero 2009-03-28, 21:22

wave

Hmmmm, well it'll end any confusion as to whether you're talking about scifi in general or the Syfy channel. donno
jero
jero
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ancient Roswellian 2009-03-29, 00:13

scratch :comando:

So, did any of you watch Polar Shift tonight?

An out of date sub delivers two nuclear bombs to the trench to "fix" the earth. Yeah that'll do it alright. runforthehills
Ancient Roswellian
Ancient Roswellian
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  jero 2009-03-29, 00:46

wave

Yeah I watched Polar Storm... Thought it was better than the usual Sat. night fare... Except for the sub thing, it's almost believeable... But ITA runforthehills lol!
jero
jero
Transformation
Transformation

Registration date : 2007-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-03-29, 04:51

Didn't catch "Polar Storm" but am eagerly awaiting this one on Sigh-fie or however you spell it. Wink

Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2009-03-29, 10:36

I can understand why they would want to do this, given all the new ways to receive programming....

"
Syfy—unlike the generic
entertainment category "sci-fi"—firmly establishes a uniquely ownable
trademark that is portable across all nonlinear digital platforms and
beyond, from Hulu to iTunes. Syfy also creates an umbrella brand name
that can extend into new adjacent businesses under the Syfy Ventures
banner, including Syfy Games, Syfy Films and Syfy Kids.

But this is a 'good' way to lose a unique identity:.......

"our broader range of programming with literally something for everyone,"
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2009-03-29, 10:40

I watched most of Polar Storm. It became almost embarrasing..... Rolling Eyes
Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-03-29, 12:34

No, didn't see Polar Shift. Sounds like I didn't miss much!

Yeah, most of the comment I have read by those who watch Sci-Fi regularly are pretty PO'd about the name change and are not happy about the reality shows and wrestling etc.! I still am mad that they gave up on Roswell!!! How much more Sci-Fi do they want? Aliens living among us ... Hello!!! beatdown
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-03-29, 12:42

Berry wrote:Didn't catch "Polar Storm" but am eagerly awaiting this one on Sigh-fie or however you spell it. Wink

Do you know when it is suppose to be coming out, Berry? Looks like a fun movie! :P
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  RaTTLHeD 2009-03-31, 11:53

when i 1st saw the preview for polar storm my initial reaction was "been there, done that". it seems like every sci-fi original is just another ripoff of something else anymore...
RaTTLHeD
RaTTLHeD

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-03-31, 13:05

No,Penny, ther is no date set yet...but we are thinking this summer is likely. Will keep everyone up to date as things develop.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  RaTTLHeD 2009-04-06, 12:45

i was just thinking earlier...and although it wasn't the first scifi original, and probably not even one of their worst. the movie for some reason is definitely, at least for me, one of most memorable. and that movie is "raptor island".

a scifi original that was made a number of years ago and is quite terrible.

ever since i watched it (why?) i've always compared other to it. sort of my own scifi original movie scale.
"well it was better than "raptor island!"....or, sometimes i would wish for something better to watch...like raptors. LOL!

maybe moving in a new direction for the scifi channel, or syfy, whatever...will be a good thing.

it's worked for some networks...or so the tv guide claims.
RaTTLHeD
RaTTLHeD

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-04-06, 20:48

It will be interesting to see how things turn out!
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Space Pilot 2009-05-15, 11:40

Sounds like more Crap to aired...

Space Pilot
wiggly squiggly
wiggly squiggly

Registration date : 2007-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2009-07-02, 19:26

Well "Syfy" is off to a bang! I went to the SciFi channel today and then over to their website. For 3 whole days they are showing nothing but "The Twilight Zone"!!!

Suspect censored
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Ancient Roswellian 2009-07-02, 21:18

I need a Roswell fix. :comando:
Ancient Roswellian
Ancient Roswellian
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2009-07-02, 22:13

Syfy will be showing the James Marsters Western Alien movie "High Plains Invaders" on August 30th. I have already seen it On Demand and it is good, cheesy fun. better than the past made-for-tv movies they've made.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  RaTTLHeD 2009-07-03, 11:36

Penny wrote:Well "Syfy" is off to a bang! I went to the SciFi channel today and then over to their website. For 3 whole days they are showing nothing but "The Twilight Zone"!!!

Suspect censored

don't they run a twilight zone marathon for every holiday though? so nothing new here...
RaTTLHeD
RaTTLHeD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down