The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emmy nominations came out today

2 posters

Go down

Emmy nominations came out today Empty Emmy nominations came out today

Post  Berry 2018-07-12, 22:59

The nominations for the upcoming Emmy Awards were announced Thursday morning, and Emmy voters — the industry-establishment members eligible to put forward shows and actors they think are worthy — behaved like TV critics. Along with nominations that everyone expected, for shows like Game of Thrones and The Handmaid’s Tale, the newcomers to Emmy nominations came from projects that have received rave reviews and, in many cases, are critics’ darlings. I’m thinking of Sandra Oh’s nomination for her starring role in Killing Eve, of Bill Hader’s nominations for rookie HBO comedy Barry (the show itself also got a nom), and Ted Danson’s nomination for The Good Place. None of these shows are huge ratings hits, and in years past, the traditionally conservative Emmy voters might have passed over them. Now, however, there’s an increased emphasis on shows that create buzz and spark online conversation. BBC America’s Killing Eve has enjoyed a lot of positive analysis for its feminist themes; NBC’s The Good Place benefits from a Twitter presence that far exceeds its proportion in the national ratings.

Sure, there were nominations that were predictable, for shows like This Is Us and Westworld. And some that were drearily predictable: Oh no, more nominations for Shameless, the Showtime comedy that has outlasted its usefulness, and for Larry David’s mediocre return with Curb Your Enthusiasm?

One show in its debut season stands out as a particularly satisfying victory already: The nominations for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and its star, Rachel Brosnahan. The show is from Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, who has had a tough time over the years, following up Gilmore with a successful new show, so the Maisel recognition is a sweet reward. (Some of us would have given Emmys to Sherman-Palladino’s underrated 2012 comedy Bunheads.) Then too, the Maisel nominations are for a show that appears on Amazon Prime, a streaming service that’s had a difficult time making the breakthrough that Netflix has. Until now, Mozart in the Jungle was the Amazon show that attracted multiple Emmy nominations, and I’d argue that Maisel is its superior in quality.

There were some nice inclusions in this year’s Emmy nods. Issa Rae was nominated for her excellent HBO comedy Insecure — the show itself should have been nominated too. And I was thrilled to see Amy Sedaris get a nomination for her assiduously odd new craft-show parody At Home With Amy Sedaris on truTV. While I ultimately think the Emmy awards will go to a whole bunch of predictables — Game of Thrones, one or two This Is Us folks — it’s nice that some young blood is coursing through the veins of the TV industry now.

Berry
Berry

Emmy nominations came out today Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Emmy nominations came out today Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Emmy nominations came out today Empty Re: Emmy nominations came out today

Post  Banjo 2018-07-13, 12:43

"(Some of us would have given Emmys to Sherman-Palladino’s underrated 2012 comedy Bunheads.)"

Hmm...surprising that whoever wrote that piece would mention that show, but I totally agree. Sutton Foster went on to star in Younger, now running its 4 th season, but I always wondered why Bunheads was canceled. Julia Goldani Telles also starred in Bunheads and went on to play the daughter on The Affair. She is still in the credits but "went to Europe" a couple of seasons ago and hasn't been seen since.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1900397/?ref_=nv_sr_1

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5065920/?ref_=nv_sr_1

As to the other noms., I haven't seen most of them except the biggies of course such as GOT and Westworld, and CYE, and Shameless which is actually one of the most entertaining shows on the pay networks.
Banjo
Banjo

Emmy nominations came out today Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Emmy nominations came out today Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2018-07-13, 15:22

Banjo
Banjo

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down