The Blu5 Community
The Blu5 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Girl

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The New Girl Empty The New Girl

Post  Banjo 2011-09-15, 11:10

Zooey Deschanel was on Regis and Kelly this morning to promote it. Regis asked her if there was competition between her and Emily. She said , "No, she's drama, I'm comedy." She said that since her father was a cinematographer they were both used to being constantly filmed since they were babies.

Zooey comes across, to me, as "mass market quirky" (my title) as compared to "rabid fan base quirky" (my title) of Mary Lynn Rajskub and Aubrey Plaza both of whom can be incomprehensible to the mass market audience, much to our delight. two thumbs up
Banjo
Banjo

The New Girl Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The New Girl Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-04-03

Back to top Go down

The New Girl Empty Re: The New Girl

Post  Berry 2011-09-15, 14:38

Thanks for reminding me of this one. I wanted to catch it...so Sept 20th. clap
Berry
Berry

Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2011-09-15, 19:05

Yeah, thanks for the reminder! Wanted to check it out! Wink
Penny
Penny

Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2011-09-30, 13:37

I liked it a lot the first week, the second week it seemed a little formulaic but Zooey's charm keeps me tuning in. I don't think there are any stand-outs among the guys she lives with.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-09-30, 15:08

Yeah, she's carrying it single handedly. Not a good thing considering the competition, most of whom have multiple talented cast members.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Rus 2011-09-30, 17:37

It's not that funny for a sitcom. I'll try it for a couple more weeks.
Rus
Rus
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2011-10-01, 08:13

I like Zooey and hope it works! I have enjoyed her for years in other things she has been in but now that I know she is Emily's sister I see all the resemblances!!! I hope the show makes it!!! but why

Since we know Temperance doesn't have a sister Zooey couldn't show up as a long lost sister ... or could she? scratch

Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-10-01, 10:16

There was a episode of Bones on a past season....don't remember exactly which one......where Zooey showed up as Emily's "long lost" relative, don't remember if she played her sister or some other relative, but it was a hilarious episode. Zooey was judgemental of everything Emily did. I'll look it up.......

Plot Summary for
"Bones" The Goop on the Girl (2009)

When a man dressed as Santa Claus blows himself up during a botched bank robbery, Brennan and Booth work to identify the bomber and determine his motives. Meanwhile, Brennan makes plans to spend Christmas in El Salvador, but her father convinces her to spend the holidays with him and Margaret Whitesell, a newly discovered distant relative.

The case of a man who explodes while wearing a Santa suite during a bank hold-up allows the team to strip Booth down to his boxers. He and Bones wrestles with dilemma's how, and where, to spend Christmas, the meaning of which is greatly disputed. The remote control explosion seems the work of a terrorist.

Later, the man is in the hot seat. He admits to being trained in explosives in the military. "You got the wrong guy," radio guy says. "Some nut listens to me, goes crazy, I'm not responsible." Booth explains the radio frequency set off the bomb. Suddenly, radio guy looks a little bit sorry -- even if it was unintentional. In the meantime, Bones' dad introduces his daughter to a long lost second cousin, Margaret (Zooey Deschanel), who likes to quote Benjamin Franklin. The two girls take an immediate dislike to each other. Back at the Jeffersonian, Daisy (Carla Gallo) has reassembled Santa's skull. One montage of Angela (Michaela Conlin) recreating the facial structure later, the team has a mug to give to the press. Just then, Camille's step daughter, Michelle, enters with a request: she wants to go to Hawaii with a friend for the holidays. "If I stay, it's just the two of us and that's depressing," the teenager says. Camille is obviously disappointed, but agrees to send Michelle off. Bones, meanwhile, complains to Booth about Margaret. Booth gets a call: someone has identified the bomber from the TV news. Turns out Santa was a local exterminator.

The episode ends with the entire team at Bones' apartment for Xmas. Bones urges her second cousin to stop quoting a founding father. "I'd rather hear what you have to say than Benjamin Franklin," she says. Margaret appears touched. Maybe the two can get along like sisters, after all. Everyone toasts to "family" -- of a sort.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-10-01, 10:46

It's been picked up for a full 24 episode order.... two thumbs up

On the set:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That cat must be their "mascot". Interesting place it picks to "observe".

Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-10-11, 13:53

Do TPTB at Fox have half a brain ? Good grief ! beatdown Well, I can cancel my DVD sched. until Nov...

Fox Bumps ‘The New Girl’
by Tracy Phillips
Oct 11th, 2011 | 10:27 AM | Comments 0

Fox is playing a dangerous scheduling game with its biggest freshman hit “The New Girl.” She just moved into Fox’s house, but already the network is taking a break.

They’ve pulled the original episodes of the Zooey Deschanel series from its lineup for the rest of October. Episodes previously scheduled for Oct. 11, Oct. 18 and Oct. 25 have been postponed; instead Fox will air extended two-hour episodes of “The X Factor” (because what we need more of is over-inflated reality shows).

It was previously announced that “New Girl” would be moved temporarily to Wednesdays during MLB playoffs but now those plans are off in favor of upping “The X Factor.”

That means fans of the breakout sitcom, which has averaged roughly 9 million viewers since its Sept. 20 debut, won’t see a new “New Girl” episode until November 1.

Scheduling hiatuses tend to impact shows negatively, so let’s hope all the viewers who fell for the “New Girl” remember her come November.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2011-10-11, 14:06

This is Fox...it's what they do.

Because they let the lunatics run the asylum there.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny 2011-10-11, 15:09

Whaaaa ... bonked on the head One new show that I have enjoyed ... at least I enjoy Zooey!!!! Rolling Eyes
Penny
Penny

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-10-12, 12:43

Zooey will be on Leno tonight. She might mention the sched. move. Last night on Leno was really hilarious with Julie Bowen wub and the "wild" animals. Catch a repeat online if you can.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-11-01, 13:32

Bumping to remind.....it comes back tonight.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-11-02, 12:21

Zooey was on Craig Ferguson night before last plugging the return. He is so quirky that only actors/celebrities that know how to "handle" him ever appear, but she did fine.

Last night's episode was pretty cute in spots, but I'm wondering if she could use better writers overall. Also, why do they have to live in what looks like a warehouse from the outside, and even inside ? This always happens when the mood is supposed to be "quirky" but I'm tired of it.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2011-11-02, 15:47

Be gentle, the celebrity gossip news is that she and her husband have separated. None of MY business, of course but I do like both of them and thought they were so well suited for each other. Hope they can work it out.
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-11-15, 16:39

They'd better not jerk us around romance-wise like Bones and Castle. But I wouldn't want Jess getting pregnant either.... :lol:

Zooey Deschanel and guest star Justin Long on "New Girl." (Fox)
Boy Meets ‘New Girl’ in Quirky Romantic Twist
by Julie Miller
Nov 15th, 2011 | 1:41 PM | Comments 0

On last week’s “New Girl,” viewers watched as Jess (Zooey Deschanel) and Nick (Jake Johnson) shared a totally adorkable teeth-brushing moment that proved once and for all that these two characters have chemistry. But before the roommates can explore that romantic terrain, Justin Long is joining the cast for a three-episode arc as Paul, a fellow teacher and quirky love interest for Jess.

In celebration of tonight’s holiday-themed episode, “New Girl” creator Liz Meriwether joined a few journalists on a conference call this morning to discus Jess and Nick’s lingering chemistry and to informally introduce Long’s character.

“He’s a teacher at her school,” Meriwether said about Long’s character Paul, whom Jess invites to her roommates’ Thanksgiving on tonight’s episode. “He’s, I guess, whatever the male form of adorkable is. As soon as he walks in the door, Jake Johnson’s character says, ‘Oh my God. There’s two of them.’ [That] kind of describes his character — he’s like the male version of Jess.”

Sneak Peek:

What’s one example of Paul’s extreme quirkiness that makes him a match for the eccentric title character?

“He carries around a kazoo,” the “New Girl” creator laughed. “That’s one detail that I’m particularly proud of. I had to fight for the kazoo. They tell you to pick your battles and I decided to [rally for this].”

“[Paul and Jess] just immediately hit it off,” Meriwether continued. “The struggle kind of becomes Justin Long’s character [trying to get along] with the guys and Jess dealing with coming out of a really long six-year relationship and walking into a new relationship.”

Does this mean that Paul will just be a rebound for Jess so that she can move onto a more meaningful relationship with Nick?

“I think this show is about male-female friendship more than it’s about [relationships],” the writer-producer said. “It’s about Jess learning how to be friends with those guys and those guys accepting Jess into their world and becoming friends with her. That’s the most important thing. Both of those characters are coming out of these relationships that didn’t go that well. I feel like they’re not at the perfect time in their lives to be together. I think it’s actually more important that their friendship blossoms.”

Then why did the writers tease the pair’s chemistry in last week’s episode?

“I think that’s why we did the episode last week,” Meriwether said. “To address [their potential for romance] but say that is not really happening right now.”

In addition, Meriwether touched on a few other subjects like whether viewers will ever see Jess in a classroom, the joy of writing a Thanksgiving episode and whether viewers will get to meet Jess’s parents.

On whether we will see Jess teaching:

“Not in this episode but definitely coming up in the rest of the season. We’re going to get into her work life really.”

Watch “New Girl:”

On how similar she is to Jess:

“I feel like there is a part of me in all of [the characters] — maybe not the model character. I think that originally, Jess was kind of based on me and I was writing about my male friends. I sort of looked around and realized that I had a lot of guy friends and I was wondering why that was and what I went to them for that I didn’t go to my girlfriends for. I think I also am super awkward sometimes [laughs] and occasionally sing to myself and occasionally am a douchebag. I do like to hide in hooded zip-up sweatshirts. I’ve never played professional basketball mafia but I’m considering it. [...] On a more serious note, what was really important to us was making sure that all of the characters felt real and the show felt real and we’ve really made that our focus I think.”

On writing a Thanksgiving episode:

“It’s definitely challenging because I think there have been so many Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes. You don’t want to go into the same territory. On the other hand, they are such universal holidays that are oftentimes so funny because there are moments where people have to come together and I feel like all of my best family stories are from Thanksgiving and Christmas. [...] Like when we did the wedding episode, I think we spent an entire day going around the writers room just telling horrible wedding stories.”

On whether audience members will get to see Jess’s parents:

“We definitely want to go into their family stories. I feel like there is so much comedy in who Jess’s parents are. [...] We’re definitely going to do that. We don’t have anything lined up right now but we’re constantly discussing it in the writers’ room so I’m hoping that that will happen soon.

On guest actors she would like to have on the show:

“I would really love to have Sarah Silverman on the show but I haven’t run that by anybody.”
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-11-16, 12:16

Quirky, eccentric, or just confusing ? You be the judge about last night's episode. scratch I have some questions....I have roasted quite a few turkeys in my time and will do so again in about a week. But is it so hard to read the label and learn how long it takes to defrost ? That 25 pounder that Jess was lugging around would take a couple of days in the bottom of the 'frig and there is always the water method if you're in a hurry. But hugging it won't work at all.

Also, I have only roasted turkeys in gas ovens that have all the flames under the bottom rack. Do electric ovens have heating elements on top also ? I assume they do and Jess' oven is electric. How else to explain that after they hammer the frozen turkey into the oven and forgetting it, it then burns on the top ! only. Eventually they do successfully roast it and the finished product shows no evidence of having been burned. I'm confused.... scratch
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2011-11-16, 12:56

As someone who has had her share of "Turkey Disasters" (there was the "Turkey doesn't thaw in a day?" year, the Japanese ovens don't cook at the same temperature as American ones?? year and the "You mean you have to take those bags OUT of the turkey first???" year)...especially when I was around Jesses' age, I sympathized and found it funny at the same time. And I LOVE the new fella. Sorry that with his fame, he is probably not sticking around too long....but kazoo's....HA two thumbs up
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-11-16, 13:05

But he didn't get to play the kazoo which was a crushing disappointment. Rolling Eyes The funniest bit was when Jess' friend put her finger, then her whole hand in the pudding. :lol:
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-12-02, 11:21

Zooey has been all over the talk shows this week. Monday she was on Leno singing at the end of the show with her accompaniest on guitar, her duo, She and Him.

Last night she was on Conan hyping her show. I still think she needs different housemates. The black guy is the best but the other two seem to try to hard to be funny.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Berry 2011-12-02, 12:33

I'm starting to lose interest in this. Sure, it's nice to have something quick and painless to watch...but maybe they are over doing the "cutesy" . I don't think it's the room-mates so much as Jess herself that is getting to me. The "trying too hard" just about says it. Or it might be the writing is just missing the mark. They are in the right ball park. This could be saved. But please, guys, save it fast. I want to like this show. sunny
Berry
Berry

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-12-02, 12:57

You're right about the "cutsey". Better writing could save it as well as better chemistry between them which is a hard thing to predict beforehand but we know it when we see it. HIMYM, Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory are the champs in that regard with Happy Endings pretty close.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Rus 2011-12-02, 13:46

I've pretty much stopped watching it. Once in a while I'll catch an episode but I'm not DVRing.
Rus
Rus
Flutterby
Flutterby

Registration date : 2007-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo 2011-12-30, 16:00

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cute 1:30 video here.
Banjo